One of the well-known sights in Iceland has its lovers and its haters, and never a lot in between.
Earlier than heading to Iceland, I requested Thrifty Traveler followers: Is the Blue Lagoon well worth the worth, and does it dwell as much as its hype? I obtained tons of solutions on each side of the spectrum, so I needed to discover out for myself.
See more: Is the blue lagoon worth it
Learn on to search out out if the Blue Lagoon lives as much as its hype.
Shopping for Tickets to the Blue Lagoon
Earlier than moving into whether or not Blue Lagoon is price a go to, let’s speak worth and what’s included. Pricing for the Blue Lagoon will rely on how far prematurely you ebook and what time of day you want to go to. There are three choices for tickets: Consolation, Premium, and Luxurious. Listed here are the everyday prices, and what you get with every:
- The overall admission ticket.
- Costs usually vary from $55 to $99.
- Contains towel, free silica mud masks, and first drink of selection.
- Entry to sauna and steam room.
- The marginally upgraded ticket.
- Costs usually vary from $80 to $118.
- Contains all Consolation facilities listed above, plus:
- second masks of selection
- desk reservation if eating and glowing wine free.
Luxurious: Retreat Spa
- 4-hour unique retreat spa package deal.
- Value is usually $625.
- Contains personal altering rooms, first drink of selection free, and entry to the personal “Retreat Lagoon” inside the Blue Lagoon.
- This ticket additionally grants you entry to the “Retreat Spa”, which incorporates:
- Lava Cove personal suite with personal lagoon, hearth, kitchen, butler, on-call chef, masseuse, and yoga teacher. In-water massages beginning at $139
- Personal steam cave, nest, lava spring, and subterranean hearth
- Blue Lagoon Ritual: silica, algae, and mineral skincare remedies
Thrifty Tip #1: Make sure you ebook your Blue Lagoon tickets as far prematurely as you possibly can to get the very best worth. Because it’s close to the airport, I’d suggest going to the Blue Lagoon the day you arrive or the day you fly out. Our flight departed at 4 p.m., so we visited the Blue Lagoon that morning for a dose of rest earlier than our flight residence.
I went for the essential Consolation ticket and was happy with my resolution. I snagged the ticket for about $87 for a 9 a.m. entrance time in early Might. If that sounds dear, it’s not … for Iceland, a notoriously costly nation. For comparability, different thermal swimming pools like Myvatn and Secret Lagoon
Thrifty Tip #2: Costs are typically cheaper within the first and previous couple of hours of Blue Lagoon’s open hours. For those who’re trying to save a bit, select the most affordable time to go to! There isn’t a time restrict on how lengthy you will be there, so I’d suggest selecting the early morning time. Get your images earlier than extra friends arrive and luxuriate in a day of rest.
What to Anticipate on the Blue Lagoon
We visited a number of thermal swimming pools in Iceland, and Blue Lagoon was positively the fanciest of the bunch. Blue Lagoon has tailored to deal with customer demand.
We checked in, confirmed our electronic mail affirmation, obtained wristbands and towels, and headed to the locker rooms. There was no line to verify in at 9 a.m. on a Tuesday morning in early Might – a nice shock!
There have been a number of girls’s locker rooms to accommodate the height summer time surge at Blue Lagoon. However for us in early Might, they have been all practically empty. Locker room facilities have been clear and complicated. The wristband we obtained upon check-in operated as each the lock for our locker, and a bank card for any purchases in the course of the day.
After exiting the locker rooms earlier than heading into the thermal pool, there’s a lounge space with drinks and snacks on the market.
Maintain onto the railing down a considerably slippery ramp into the pool, stroll into the recent water, and also you’re within the Blue Lagoon! We had a wonderful, blue-sky day.
We had been warned to take off jewellery and coat our hair in a particular conditioner supplied within the locker rooms. And as we entered, I rapidly realized why: The silica that offers the Blue Lagoon its beautiful milky shade is a robust mineral. The lagoon didn’t have the rotten egg scent a number of the different thermal springs of Iceland had, however I positively seen its robust mineral results on my hair (and the one earring I left in!)
The Blue Lagoon isn’t only one massive pool: There are quite a few little alcoves and offshoots the place you possibly can swim away from the principle massive heart and luxuriate in a quieter expertise. The lagoon isn’t deep in any respect, and I might contact always. I generally even crouched down on my knees to remain submerged within the heat water! Dip below these little bridges to chill out in an alcove and snap an Insta-worthy pic with none photobombs.
On one aspect of the lagoon is an alcove that’s particularly peaceable. That is additionally proper subsequent to the thermal sauna and steam room. In case your fingers are beginning to prune and also you want a break, cease into considered one of these rooms for a great sweat session.
Meals and Drink on the Blue Lagoon
Head to the alternative aspect of the lagoon and also you’ll discover the bar. Stomach as much as this floating cabana and get your first drink free – it’s included with all tickets. The in-water bar affords juices, smoothies, water, wine, and beer.
Costs vary from roughly $5 to $12 however there’s no worth cap to your first free drink, so decide the dear one first! I obtained a banana smoothie, and my pal opted for a beer. There are a number of water fountains across the Blue Lagoon, so go for one thing enjoyable as a substitute! In order for you a second beverage, merely scan your wristband and pay upon exit.
There’s a fancy Lava Restaurant on the Blue Lagoon, however in the event you’re on a finances, I’d skip this one. You may also get snacks or smaller packaged entrees such as you’d see at an airport stand contained in the Blue Lagoon lounge space.
Thrifty Tip #3: Costs have been unsurprisingly costly, so in the event you plan to remain for a number of hours, I’d suggest packing your personal snacks and refillable water bottle. We stayed on the Blue Lagoon from 9 a.m. to just a little after midday, after which simply made lunch in our camper van within the Blue Lagoon car parking zone.
Face Masks on the Blue Lagoon
All tickets additionally embrace a complimentary silica mud masks. This masks felt superb! It spreads on simply and has a cool, tingling sensation. Hold out of eyes and wash off within the Blue Lagoon after 10-Quarter-hour. Further algae mud masks, mineral masks, and lava scrubs can be found for roughly $7 to $9, which can be charged in your wristband and paid for as you allow.
Is the Blue Lagoon Value It?
Everybody can have their very own preferences, however I feel visiting the Blue Lagoon is a good way to both begin or finish your journey to Iceland. And right here’s why.
- It’s near the airport, so it’s an important begin your journey or cap it with day of rest earlier than boarding your flight residence.
- It appears costly, however the least expensive dates and instances begin at $55, so ebook an affordable time within the morning and make a half-day spa time out of it! For comparability, the opposite hottest scorching springs in Iceland aren’t less expensive: The Secret Lagoon is $25 and Myvatn Nature Baths are between $35 and $40.
- Different scorching springs in Iceland don’t supply the identical facilities and complimentary objects because the Blue Lagoon. The Secret Lagoon and Myvatn Nature Baths talked about above don’t embrace a towel, free drink, or mud masks.
- I’m certain the Blue Lagoon can get packed throughout peak summer time, when most vacationers go to Iceland. Nevertheless it’s robust to explain simply how massive the Blue Lagoon is. And you’ll keep away from the worst crowding by going in the course of the shoulder seasons (Might and September-October) and reserving a morning time to beat the crowds.
I spent $87 for a soothing morning (with no time restrict!) within the heat waters of the Blue Lagoon, having fun with a complimentary smoothie and dust masks and soaking within the mineral advantages. We went the thrifty route and explored all of Iceland by camper van, so I didn’t thoughts splurging a bit for the final scorching springs of our journey.
If the Blue Lagoon doesn’t appear to be a great match for you, don’t fret! There are many different thermal swimming pools and scorching springs to discover in Iceland, just like the Secret Lagoon, Myvatn Nature Baths, and lots of extra.
However in the event you’ve solely obtained a number of days in Iceland or wish to go to a number of of the swimming pools Iceland has to supply, Blue Lagoon can simply be price the price and hype. It will not be a hidden gem, however it might be precisely what you’ll want to chill out and luxuriate in your final day in Iceland.
Subscribe to our Publication, like us on Fb, and comply with us on Twitter & Instagram
Editorial Be aware: Any opinions, analyses, critiques, or suggestions expressed on this article are these of the creator’s alone, and haven’t been reviewed, accepted, or in any other case endorsed by any card issuer.