The 100-m butterfly has been largely dominated by Michael Phelps on the Olympics since 2004. Now it’s Caeleb Dressel’s flip.
Dressel gained the race in a blazing 49.45 seconds on Saturday in Tokyo, nabbing his third gold medal of the Summer season Video games and breaking his personal world file by .05 seconds.
See more: World fastest swimmer
Retaining to himself in a nook of the prepared room earlier than the race, Dressel didn’t sit within the chair reserved for him, selecting to face off to the facet. A self-described “loner” and “weirdo,” Dressel prefers to not speak to many individuals at meets, however talked to himself as he walked onto the deck to cheers from his fellow Workforce USA swimmers. It’s an method that’s labored nicely for him. The one swimmer who was beneath 50 seconds in qualifying, Dressel led the race from the beginning, holding off rising star Kristof Milak of Hungary, who gained gold within the 200-m butterfly earlier in Tokyo. Dressel, nonetheless, owns the 100-m distance, and popped off the blocks with one of many quickest reactions occasions of .60 seconds. Dressel hit the wall at 50 m in 23.0, and continued his blistering tempo by means of the end.
Since he’s arrived in Tokyo, Dressel has been closing in on his personal world file, which he set on the 2019 world championships; he set an Olympic file within the semifinals in Tokyo and shaved 0.03 extra off that point to set the brand new world file within the remaining. It’s the primary world file for an American swimmer in Tokyo, and solely the second particular person world file set at this Olympics (the opposite was set by South Africa’s Tatjana Schoenmaker within the ladies’s 200-m breaststroke).
Dressel now owns the 5 quickest occasions within the occasion. That’s no small feat on condition that the file he broke in 2019 belonged to Phelps, who was the primary to interrupt the 50-second barrier on the world championships in 2009, which Phelps swam in a kind of quick go well with that’s now not allowed in competitors. Dressel’s time places him within the firm of different nice American champions within the occasion, from Phelps to Ian Crocker, Pablo Morales and Mark Spitz, every of whom contributed to sooner and sooner races that set the stage for Dressel’s spectacular time.
The gold is the second particular person one for Dressel, who additionally claimed the 100-m freestyle title in Tokyo. His third gold medal in Tokyo got here as a part of the 4×100-m freestyle relay staff alongside Blake Pieroni, Bowen Becker and Zach Apple.
Dressel has yet one more particular person remaining, the 50-m freestyle, on the final day of the swimming competitors in Tokyo. In his semifinal for the occasion, which he swam not lengthy after profitable the 100-m, Dressel recorded a time of 21.42 seconds—the quickest of any swimmer.
Learn extra concerning the Tokyo Olympics:
- Naomi Osaka: ‘It’s O.Ok. to Not Be O.Ok.’
- Motherhood May Have Price Olympian Allyson Felix. She Wouldn’t Let It
- Simone Biles’ Olympic Workforce Ultimate Withdrawal May Assist Athletes Put Their Psychological Well being First
- ‘Unapologetic and Unafraid.’ Sue Fowl Stares Down Olympic Glory in Tokyo and Fairness Off the Courtroom
- Meet 6 Heroes Who Helped Battle COVID-19 Earlier than Competing within the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics
- Right here’s How Many Medals Each Nation Has Gained on the Tokyo Summer season Olympics So Far
- 48 Athletes to Watch on the Tokyo Olympics
- The Olympic Refugee Workforce Was Created to Provide Hope. Some Athletes Are Working Away From It
Extra Should-Learn Tales From TIME
- Shonda Rhimes Already Is aware of What You are Going to Watch Subsequent
- How Donald Trump Turned Jan. 6 right into a Windfall
- Why 2022 Is the Yr We Study to Reside With COVID-19
- Public Colleges Are Struggling to Retain Black Lecturers. These Ex-Lecturers Clarify Why
- CDC Director Rochelle Walensky Faces a Surging Virus—And a Disaster of Belief
- How Addictive Social Media Algorithms May Lastly Face a Reckoning in 2022
- The Supreme Courtroom May Let Spiritual Colleges Take Taxpayer Cash. Former College students Say That is a Mistake
Contact us at [email protected]
SHARE THIS STORY
var e = document.createElement(‘script’);