5. Duck Near Corolla and tucked between the sound and the ocean, Duck provides the facilities of a singular seaside city plus quiet public seaside entry, the place all the household, together with the household canine, can calm down. Households vacationing right here will discover numerous rental properties out there to them. Within the city of Duck, domestically owned retailers and eating places abound. On the shores of Currituck Sound, there may be an 11-acre park with strolling trails, a pavilion for particular occasions, and a willow marsh. For the water sports activities fanatic, kayak, jetski, parasailing, paddleboards, and pontoons can be found for lease domestically..
6. Emerald Isle Situated on a part of what’s often known as North Carolina’s Crystal Coast, Emerald Isle is a small seaside neighborhood that’s a hub for water sports activities. Nonetheless, there is a draw for everybody, together with public seaside entry, the Salty Pirate Water Park, nature trails at Emerald Isle Woods Park, mini golf, campgrounds, a fishing pier, eating places and extra. There’s additionally an aquarium in close by Pine Knoll Shores. Should you get uninterested in the uncrowded seashores, surf and sand, then a day journey to the cities of Beaufort, New Bern, or Swansboro supply much more to do.
See more: Best north carolina beaches for families
Topsail Seaside. Photograph courtesy of the City of Topsail Seaside
7. Topsail Island Smack in the course of the coast between the Crystal Coast and Cape Worry, Topsail Island is one other stress-free stretch of seaside with an enormous deal with pure conservation efforts. Guests will discover lovely views and quiet seashores wherever on the island, whether or not they’re in North Topsail, Surf Metropolis, and Topsail Seaside. An added bonus for households is the Karen Beasely Sea Turtle Rescue and Rehabilitation Heart in close by (mainland) Surf Metropolis. For $5 (adults) and $3 (children), guests can take a tour of the power and stand up shut with the rescued turtles. Need to expertise sea turtles within the wild? Loggerheads come to Topsail to nest from mid-Might by means of August every year.
For historical past buffs and army fanatics, the Missiles and Extra Museum is open seasonally and has missile shows and reveals on army plane, secret missions, and girls’s roles within the Air Pressure. And naturally, there are playgrounds, nature parks, eating places, and retailers for households to discover.
8. Kill Satan Hills / Kitty Hawk Throughout the Wright Memorial Bridge from the mainland, Kill Satan Hills is a should for any aviation fanatic. The Wright Brothers took a few of their first profitable flights right here, and the Nationwide Park at Kill Satan Hills marks these historic occasions with a 60-foot monument and markers all through the park designating vital flights and assessments. Simply north of right here is Kitty Hawk, an incredible base for journey to the Kill Satan Hills.
There’s additionally a pier, seven public entry seashores (three of that are manned with lifeguards throughout the summer season months), eating places, retailers, water sports activities and extra. Sea turtles make their nests in these components of the Outer Banks so be looking out for these great sea creatures.
Photograph by Dan Zen/CC BY 2.0
9. Nags Head Preserve heading south from Kitty Hawk and also you’ll discover Nags Head, house to Jockey’s Ridge, the tallest sand dune on the Atlantic coast. Get a (free) allow and go sand boarding or take some dangle gliding classes to expertise this dune in a really distinctive means. If neither of these actions sound interesting, you may merely hike the dune and go to the onsite museum. The seaside at Nags Head is the largest draw so count on to spend most of your time right here stress-free on the shore. There are mini golf amenities, ice cream retailers, go carts, and eating places.
For extra actions, guests can take the bridge over to Roanoke Island the place among the first Europeans settled in America on the Misplaced Colony. There are additionally many different actions, together with an aquarium, boat excursions, annual festivals celebrating the island’s mysterious historical past, Elizabethan gardens, lighthouses, and ghost excursions.
10. Cape Hatteras Nationwide Seashore 70 miles of gorgeous Carolina seashores make up the Cape Hatteras Nationwide Seashore, which is run totally by the Nationwide Parks Service. Ocracoke Island is essentially the most well-known, with its iconic lighthouse and, when you meet one of many few locals left, a really distinct dialect. Or go to one of many different two lighthouses open for climbing at Cape Hatteras and Bodie Island. Tenting, stress-free, and water sports activities are the principle points of interest on this glorious stretch of shoreline.
High photograph by Brian Leon/CC BY 2.0