In Solvang, California native eating places have been introducing Danish meals to People for 4 generations or extra. You will discover a lot of flaky, buttery pastries to go together with your cup of espresso, however that is not all. Danish specialties additionally embrace some meat-based dishes, particularly sausages. Here is what to know earlier than you go.
You possibly can pattern lots of Solvang’s Danish meals in the course of the annual Solvang Danish Days in September.
See more: Best danish restaurant in solvang
In the event you’re a vegetarian, your Danish meals journey might be restricted to the pastries. Nevertheless, native bakeries might use butter and do not present vegan or gluten-free choices. Do not let that hold you from going to Solvang for a go to, although. You store and benefit from the charming buildings — and you will discover loads of eating places on the town that may meet your dietary wants.
A lot of the Danish eating places in Solvang are inside the four-block procuring space south of Mission Drive between Alisal Highway and fifth Avenue.
Convey your urge for food and an plentiful provide of persistence. Solvang is like many different vacationer cities, the place service may be lackluster. Nevertheless, it’s possible you’ll be fortunate and get a server who’s each fairly educated and pleasant.
Meals to Look For in Solvang
The most effective Danish meals to eat in Solvang are the flaky pastries. If the very first thing that involves your thoughts are these typical “Danish” pastries with a crammed heart, overlook that stereotype. Viennese cooks began making delicate, flaky pastry in Denmark within the 1840s, and the number of Danish creations utilizing it’s astonishing.
Among the Danish pastry specialties it’s possible you’ll encounter in Solvang are:
- Kringle: A pretzel-shaped pastry featured on the Meals Community’s Child in a Sweet Retailer present.
- Waffle Crisp: A cigar-shaped pastry full of whipped cream and raspberry jam.
- Butter Rings: A pastry ring containing almond paste and custard filling, topped with icing. They’re additionally referred to as Seven Sisters Cake.
- Danish waffles do not appear like a conventional waffle in any respect In Solvang. They seem to be a baked puff pastry rolled in sugar and full of raspberry jam and buttercream frosting.
And people are solely the start; you may additionally discover strudels, palm leaves, and cookies formed like Napoleon’s hat, a clam, or an owl’s eye.
Then there’s the Danish meat objects served in Solvang. These dishes are of combined assessment, so it’s possible you’ll need to learn some on-line evaluations of the person eating places earlier than you go to resolve whether or not they’re for you or not.
To make decision-making simpler, these are a number of of the commonest meat dishes served in Solvang eating places:
- Frikadeller is an unspiced Danish meatball product of floor pork, beef or veal, served with a lightweight brown gravy. It is sometimes served for dinner probably with boiled potatoes. Leftovers are repurposed into open-faced sandwiches on rye bread.
- Medisterpølse is a boiled sausage. On menus, it is usually referred to as Spiced Danish Pork Sausage. The spice a part of the title comes from the standard use of nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. Nevertheless, the spices are sometimes barely noticeable, and even the mustard served alongside can appear soft-pedaled as if to not displease the vacationers.
- Hakkebøf is mainly a hamburger steak served with onions, potatoes, and brown sauce.
- Rullepolse is a seasoned pork chilly minimize rolled and full of herbs and seasonings, which can be served in an open-faced sandwich.
- Facet dishes sometimes embrace pickled crimson cabbage, cucumber salad, and potatoes.