Let’s go proper to the northerly fringe of Edinburgh and solid our minds again to the busy days of the working docks within the 18th century. The realm of Leith was Scotland’s foremost port for commerce, with big ships crusing out and in brimming with merchandise and items similar to wool, wine, uncooked supplies and spices.
Since then, loads has occurred. The realm turned an official a part of Edinburgh in 1920, The Royal Yacht Britannia made her last cease at Ocean Terminal, and Leith was catapulted into the highlight by Irvine Welsh’s Trainspotting.
See more: What to do in leith
However Leith has all the time accomplished its personal factor. The realm slowly started to shed its industrial pores and skin and embrace a classy new guise – and is now 4th on the listing of coolest neighbourhoods on this planet, based on Time Out.
Right here’s our information to the realm, with recommendations on consuming, ingesting and different enjoyable issues to see and do.
Leith’s eating scene is progressive, creative and diverse, with new eating places cropping up on a regular basis, every bringing with them one thing contemporary and new. To not point out it’s residence to not one however two of the capital’s Michelin-star eating places.
- The Kitchin Tom Kitchin and his workforce imagine within the ‘nature-to-plate’ philosophy and rustle up some scrumptious dishes in a single Edinburgh’s best Michelin-star eating places. Significantly scrumptious.
- Restaurant Martin Wishart The opposite star belongs to Martin Wishart. Expertise a mix of basic French culinary strategies with Scottish produce and deal with your self to an unforgettable meal.
- Harmonium Meet Harmonium – the little sister restaurant of Glasgow’s vegan establishment, Stereo. All the things on the menu right here is free from animal produce, with pizzas, burgers and conventional pub grub to select from.
Modern delicacies in a comfortable environment, Borough’s healthful seasonal elements make for scrumptious, ever-changing dishes and there’s a wonderful wine choice to match.
- Ship on the Shore Seafood lovers, there’s one thing for you too! Head right here for contemporary seafood and glowing champagne.
This restaurant’s inside is designed with reclaimed supplies and is a classy area on Nice Junction Road, serving scrumptious dishes with domestically sourced produce.
- Fortunate Yu Benefit from the Asian-inspired choices and engaging bao buns inside this gem of a restaurant on Elm Row. It’s the best place for a fast chunk or cosy dinner.
- East Pizzas Strive a sourdough sensation at this spot on Industrial Road and revel in lovingly created pizzas with toppings you’ll love.
Cafes and bistro experiences
- Williams & Johnson For followers of the espresso bean, Williams & Johnson is a must-visit for scrumptious espresso and dairy-free latte choices.
- Bross Bagels Pop in for a tasty bagel stuffed to the brim with scrumptious goodness. You’ll discover nice choices for vegan and vegetarian associates too. And, the espresso is outstanding.
Head to Alby’s for big sandwiches! Greater than a daily sandwich store, it is a deli with a distinction, and the area additionally hosts night occasions from Wednesday to Friday. Come your self, or along with your canine, associates and favorite drinks (it’s BYOB).
- Kcal Kitchen There’s one thing for well being nuts and calorie-counting travellers too, with this guilt-free, clear consuming restaurant. Protein-packed pancakes, halloumi fries and wholesome burgers – sure please!
- Toast Elevate a toast to The Shore’s first ever wine café! It’s additionally an excellent spot for breakfast and brunch, or Mediterranean-style sharing plates within the afternoon and night. There’s additionally a deli counter, muffins and pastries.
- Mimi’s Bakehouse
Get your sugar repair with a toppling tower of muffins from Mimi’s. The ‘Earlier than-noon tea’ is one other delight for all breakfast followers.
Drinks and cocktails
You’ll discover excellent pints and cocktail combos you’ve by no means heard of earlier than at pubs and bars throughout Leith.
- Roseleaf Take pleasure in cocktails in tea cups and admire the wall show of extravagant hats inside this vibrant little bar simply alongside from the Shore.
- Campervan Brewery Faucet Room Go to Leith’s first ever brewery Faucet Room and check out the vary of Campervan brews obtainable. It opens on Fridays and Saturdays.
Whereas away the hours inside this attractive pub, initially opened as a Victorian café in 1896 with lovely stained-glass home windows.
- Lionness of Leith There are many beautiful issues to strive on the cocktail menu right here, and the bar additionally serves connoisseur ‘Lioness’ burgers and do-it-yourself waffles within the morning, what’s to not love?
- The Barologist Discover superb cocktails on the meteorology-themed menu, in addition to nice meals and pleasant bar employees who look the half of their fashionable high hats.
- Teuchters Touchdown
In case you’re in search of a wonderful collection of pints, or a mug of stovies or mac ‘n’ cheese, Teuchters is the pub for you. Make summer time reminiscences within the beer backyard which overlooks the Water of Leith.
- The Nauticus With a nod to Leith’s buying and selling heritage, this bar takes inspiration from the time the realm was key within the spice, gin, sherry and wine trades, and even has Harris Tweed bar stools.
- Scotbeer Be a part of the Leith Brewery Taproom Path, a strolling tour by Leith’s historic brewing quarter. Discover the Shore’s greatest beer spots, stopping at some distinctive venues and sampling a few of the capital’s best beers and ales alongside the way in which.
Leith’s coolest occasions
There’s all the time one thing thrilling taking place in Leith. Be one of many cool youngsters try on a few of these occasions!
- Leith Competition Organised by a devoted group of Leithers, this pageant combines eight days of occasions celebrating theatre, music, arts and extra.
- Biscuit Manufacturing unit The Biscuit Manufacturing unit is an arts and trend hub inside the previous Crawford’s biscuit manufacturing facility. Preserve a watch out for pop-up occasions and markets, together with the Edinburgh Meals Social occasions the place you may strive some actually tasty dishes.
- Leith Theatre Catch plenty of occasions and funky goings on on the Leith Theatre. After an extended historical past of ups and downs, the constructing is now open for neighborhood occasions, concert events, film screenings and many different thrilling issues.
- The Pitt A road meals market which has injected a brand new lease of life into an previous industrial yard with foodie stalls, dwell music, a bar on Saturdays and Sundays – principally, the very best of occasions.
*Please examine with particular person occasion organisers for extra particulars.
Extra Leith points of interest
Leith’s cultural points of interest will introduce you to the realm’s fascinating historical past and heritage and present you its artistic aspect too.
- The Royal Yacht Britannia Discover the floating royal residence and see the ship that sailed the world with the Royal Household on board for over 40 years. See the Queen’s favorite viewpoint and have tea within the Royal Deck Tea Room.
- Water of Leith walkway Weaving its method by Edinburgh from the foot of the Pentland hills to Leith, this route is ideal for a peaceable leafy stroll or cycle by town.
- Trinity Home Dive into Leith’s well-known maritime historical past. This grand Georgian home was as soon as housed the Incorporation of Mariners and Shipmasters, and is bursting with maritime gems together with 4 portraits by Sir Henry Raeburn.
- Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop A hub of creativity, this superb workspace affords plenty of workshops for sculptors of all ranges. Strive clay portraiture, wooden carving or steel work and see what masterpieces you may create!
Enterprise a little bit additional and uncover extra scenic locations to go to close to Edinburgh. Have we missed your favorite spot in Leith? Tell us within the feedback beneath.